The fear of hurricanes makes everyone a little concerned when it comes to the topic of flooding. Whether or not you should have Florida flood insurance is a question that millions of homeowners have. People debate the issue back and forth and look for a definitive answer to the question. The more you know about Florida flood insurance, the better position you will be to make the decision if having it is the right decision for you and your family.
Here are 5 things to know about Florida flood insurance:
- Having a standard Florida home insurance police doesn’t mean that you are covered for flooding. In fact, it likely means that you are not covered for flooding, because standard home insurance policies don’t include flood coverage. Renter’s insurance policies also do not cover floods.
- Even though flooding is not covered in your standard Florida home insurance policy, you can still make sure your home is protected in the event there is flooding. You do this by having a separate policy that specifically offers Florida flood insurance coverage.
- Many people think they don’t need to have Florida flood insurance, because they assume that the flooding won’t happen to them. One look at areas that have been hit by hurricanes in recent years dispels this myth. In fact, the Insurance Information Institute reports that during 2017, there were over 5 million flood insurance policies in force, and there were nearly 92,000 flood claims submitted. That’s 92,000 people who would have not had a way to get financial help had they opted to not have a flood insurance policy.
- Depending on where you live, you may be required to have Florida flood insurance on your home. If where you live is considered a flood zone, then you will not have a choice about obtaining flood insurance.
- Florida flood insurance is not as expensive as you may think. Many people assume that their policy will cost a lot, but there are affordable Florida flood insurance rates available. It’s all a matter of finding them, which is something that we do at Webb Insurance Options. Contact us so that we can help you find the best rates on Florida flood insurance.
Florida flood insurance covers such things as clothing, curtains, dishes, washing machines, your building’s foundation, electrical and plumbing systems, carpeting, and much more. Having food insurance when you live in Florida is a must for most people. The policies are affordable and the money spent is well worth the peace of mind it brings.