Living in Florida, we tend to give a lot of consideration when it comes to our homeowner’s insurance policy. This is for good reason. We need to make sure that we have the coverage in place that will take care of our needs should something happen to our home. One common question that people ask is “Does homeowners insurance cover roof replacement?”
It’s wise to consider your Florida homeowners insurance policy now, including whether or not it would cover roof replacement. Hurricanes are known for damaging roofs, so it is important to know about how your roof would be replaced through your homeowner’s insurance. Here are a few things to keep in mind regarding Florida homeowners insurance and roof replacement:
- The law in Florida requires that if at least 25% of the roof has been damaged within one year, then it all must be replaced. Therefore, if a hurricane comes through in July and causes just 10% of the roof to be damaged, and then another one comes through in October of the same year and causes another 15% of the roof to be damaged, then the whole roof must be replaced.
- Your Florida homeowners insurance should cover roof replacement for storms and weather damage. How much you will pay for the deductible of that roof replacement will depend on your individual policy. Some people have a flat rate deductible, such as $500, toward a roof replacement, while others will pay a percentage of the home value, such as $8,000.
- If you don’t have at least 25% of your roof damaged, you may still qualify for roof replacement. This may happen if the materials used to fix the damaged area are no longer available, such as the shingles not being able to be matched up.
- Roof replacement costs in Florida range from around $6,000 to $10,000 or more, depending on the size of your home and materials used.
- Homeowners insurance does not cover roof replacement for normal wear and tear or because the home wasn’t properly maintained over the years. The roof replacement part of your homeowners insurance will cover what are considered “acts of God,” such as hurricanes, fire, storms, etc.
The best route to take is for everyone in Florida to know their homeowners policy, as well as what their deductible would be for roof replacement. At Webb Insurance Options, we can help you find the most affordable Florida homeowners insurance rates, while not compromising on coverage.
Contact us today for a free quote. We can help you find homeowners insurance rate that you are comfortable with.