If you live in Florida and have a child then you know all too well they are likely counting down the days until they can drive. The countdown begins once they hit the teen years, and they will keep you on your toes waiting for that day to come. Many parents in Florida are not yet familiar with what they need to help their teen safely begin driving.
Here are some things that ever Florida parent with a teen should know when it comes to them beginning to drive:
- Florida has a graduated license program. Teen drivers have to have their driver’s permit for at least one year before they can take the test to get their driver’s license. Even once they get that, there are restrictions on when they can drive for that first year.
- Prior to getting the driver’s permit in Florida, your teen will need to complete a drug and alcohol course. The course takes four hours and is offered online, and you have to pay for it. The course is around $30 and you have to take it through an approved provider.
- Your teen can either take the permit test at the Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicle location, or they can do it online before ever going there. If you do it in person then the first attempt is free, and the second one is $10. You can choose to do it online, as well as a practice test, through an approved provider for a fee of around $30. The results are immediately added to the database so the officials can access the information.
- Teens can get their driver’s permit when they are 15 years old. They will need permission from a parent or guardian to do so. They can get their driver’s license at age 16. The parent or guardian who gave the permission to get the license can revoke it at anytime while they are still a minor.
- Once the teen gets their driver’s license you will need to inform your auto insurance company. When you do that you may be shocked at the rate increase they give you. Don’t settle with that. Contact us at Webb Insurance Options. We can help you find a much more affordable rate.
Having a teen driver can be both exciting and expensive if you don’t take the time to shop around for the best Florida auto insurance rates. Our mission is to help you find the best possible rates. Get more information about teens getting their Florida permit and license here. Contact us today free auto insurance quote!